December 10, 2011 § 5 Comments
I’ve been meaning to do this sooner and had plans to write this elaborately all-encompassing piece to finish out this amazing chapter of my life, but it kinda hasn’t worked out.
I’m not a fan of saying goodbye because ‘goodbye’ has a sense of finality that doesn’t really exist in the real world. A goodbye isn’t really necessary because we’re on a continuous stream of life function and form so the finality of goodbye is mythical. If you think about it, the seeming finality will eventually lend itself to a means of fading and blending into the the next phase of your life in which all the pieces build upon themselves within you. You never really leave anything, anyone, or any moment behind. I think a more appropriate phrase instead of ‘goodbye’ would be the following excerpt from a past post:
‘I’ve realized that the experiences you open yourself to shape your being. I feel myself becoming a slightly different person with every positive experience I foster and negative experience I learn from. Each person you meet, each experience you cultivate, molds you like the finger swipes of a skilled potter. Keep these with you, remember them, and carry them with you into the future.’
Thank you guys.
November 24, 2011 § 1 Comment
2. A healthy body
3. Sushi for lunch
4. Music to keep me going
5. Conversations and books that keep me flowing.
* * * * *
I’m joining my boss’ boss’ boss for Thanksgiving dinner. I’m feeling a bit intimidated but I figure it’ll be better than eating a turkey sandwich by myself tonight.
Also, there is a social gathering tonight that involves a beer pong tournament in a bar. Again, this is outside my comfort zone. But it seems to me that in order to succeed in the non-academic world, being reclusive is not ideal. Actually, you know what, only a few of the lessons taught in the classroom seem to be directly translatable to the world at large. Why didn’t someone tell me that managing interpersonal skills and knowing how to ‘live it up’ and be all fun and social are really important aspects of life?!?!?
They should offer a course in college called “Social Skills 101.” It would cover topics like approachability, lightheartedness, being ‘fun’ and ‘cool’, and the ability to speak without a Powerpoint presentation or note cards. That would’ve been GREAT.
Happy Thanksgiving ya’ll!
November 21, 2011 § 2 Comments
That title is intentionally misleading because there is no joy about walking into an empty home.
The only remnants you see are the results of your own existence.
There is no other sign of life aside from the colony of ants you demolished last week.
In other news, I got an iPhone. White. I have to admit it is quite nicely designed. Though it takes me ten minutes to text message people because I’ve been using a flip-phone this whole time…quite a drastic change. Never in my life have my thumbs felt so awkward and clueless.
Happy Monday :)
October 31, 2011 § 6 Comments
Here are some reasons why life is good today:
1. I have some furniture now! A beautiful/comfortable/spacious sectional sofa I got for a sweet deal, a dining table that is slowly turning into a work table, and a chaiiirrrr!! …I still don’t have a bed, but that’s okay. Sleeping on the floor serves as a good reminder for me to not get too comfortable with life *^^*
2. Lunch with two college friends + a new friend who were in the area this weekend! After a week of posting on online forums (yes, I’m the type of person who does that -.-;;) and visiting the grocery store for pathetic attempts at socializing (from which I’ve learned that either (1) people who work in grocery stores do not like small talk, or (2) I suck at small talking to grocery store employees), it felt nice to talk to real human beings with shared connection <3
3. Got my car washed and gave the people a nice tip and they were happy about that so that me happy too
4. Heard my brother is being almost stupidly persistent, but I really respect that and am inspired because he’s a lot more brave and persistent than I ever was/am
5. Yesterday I went on an organized hike led by a super-super-fit-old-man and we climbed/”scrambled” so many rocks so I felt like a squirrel and I took a nap on a warm rock which almost made me feel like a cat so it was all fun because sometimes pretending like you’re an animal reminds you that you essentially are an animal and that you don’t have to take yourself too seriously all the time.
6. First day of work tomorrow! I’m a bit nervous because I want to make a good first impression to my new manager, but I may or may not have semi-ruined that already with a wordy email about being nervous. I sent that email a week ago. He still hasn’t responded so…good job Song-I, good job. :D
October 28, 2011 § 3 Comments
So, I adore positive attitudes and inspirational quotes (I have subscriptions to quote blogs, books filled with inspirational quotes, and maintain lists of them on paper and on laptop)…but these UN-inspiring posters made me actually lol in the middle of the bookstore. Enjoy!
And this last one seemed highly appropriate :)
All images from www.despair.com
Enjoy the upcoming weekend and Happy Halloween to those who celebrate it. And to those who don’t, have a good time boycotting Halloween :)
October 20, 2011 § 1 Comment
So, I stuffed my life into a car and I’ll be driving off to my next adventure – my first full-time “adultlike” job out of college!
The next chapter of my life will take me to a very…appropriately inappropriate location for me. This city needs no introduction as it is world-renowned for its ridiculousness.
Hello Las Vegas, my new home :)
* * * * *
I said a lot of goodbyes. It was odd. There was such a sense of finality to everything – the last hike, the last meal, the last hug, the last goodbye, the last bit of eye contact…I’ve moved around a LOT in the past and I’ve never felt such a weighty lightness of apprehension when saying goodbye, but this time around was so…oddly momentous. Oddly final. Weird.
Special thanks to the following people who’ve made my short stay in LA a little less lonely a lot more friendly:
CS+GC: Our friendship makes no sense sometimes but I love it. And sometimes I don’t understand why you guys are so nice to me but I really appreciate it all – the love, the laughs, the edibles, the gifts, the time, the presence. <3!
YN+NP: We’re goin’ to Greece and I am so happy that we all agree that it is perfectly normal to sit on trees at nighttime for fun. Let’s squat and stare at wormholes next time :)
BC: You are the best Republic-of-Chinese guy friend a Korean can ask for. I hope to see your tooly business picture covered in a gold frame next year :)
DJL: heheheh diaper buddy. Enough said. I’m happy we reconnected :)
JL: I lurve you and your openness and your energy and your heat strokes and your ability to make me speak and your ability to expand yourself. You are truly precious.
LW: We only met up once but you enlightened me. Spread that to others :)
KS: We’re not even really friends and I don’t think you read my blog but your warmth disarms me and I appreciate your kindness.
HL and company: You guys + me = odd bunch of awkward Koreans. Twas good :)
EC + IH + SP + DC + EL + CO + CC+ MC + HL + JL + YW + BN = <3 & thank you :)
KY: I’d be a mess without you. Thank you.
* * * * *
Goodbye, pre-adulthood student life and wanderings and ability to remain unaccountable for anything serious. I enjoyed our time together.
* * * * *
…Okay, I should’ve ended the post there but I’m about to drive off soon and I’m feeling oddly scared and sad. Here are some quotes that will keep me afloat and brave today:
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.” – Ian MaClaren
“Don’t take any of it too seriously.” -Cher
“Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs, show people your brain, and if they like that they see, you’ll have more beads than you know what to do with.” -Ellen DeGeneres
“You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” -A.A. Milne
“Fill yourself with silence, you will find life, And your body shall flourish upon earth.” -Amenemope
“Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming swimming swimming.” -Dory
[Added quote thanks to JHC: “Shut up and swim” -Michael Phelps. lawlz.]